SENIOR VETERINARIAN – FULL TIME
WINNIPEG HUMANE SOCIETY
The Winnipeg Humane Society is offering a unique and rewarding opportunity for an experienced DVM to fill a full-time position as our Senior Veterinarian.
This leadership role will allow you to experience the rewards of shelter medicine and community veterinary support while being a mentor, offering excellence in veterinary services, being a key team member and helping the WHS Clinic to maximise the use of resources and enhance positive community impact.
Who we are: The Winnipeg Humane Society is one of the most established and most progressive animal welfare organizations in Canada. Our mission is to protect all animals from suffering and to promote their welfare and dignity.
What you will be doing: Reporting to the Director of Veterinary Services, the successful applicant will help lead a team of 3 veterinarians, 8 RVTS and the rest of the dedicated clinic staff. This job is diverse and fast-paced with a lot of variety and opportunity for growth within the career. We offer excellence in veterinary medicine for animals in our care, pets belonging to low-income community members and pets living in remote areas of Manitoba. The WHS performs over 7000 surgical procedures a year (spay/neuter, soft tissue, dentistry, orthopedic) and surgery is only half of what we do. We have in house digital radiography, digital dental radiography, in house CBC/CHEM machine, Tono-pen, 3 surgical suites and a dental suite. We treat dogs, cats and exotics with a Fear Free approach, individual consideration, and maximise humane outcomes.
Leadership: This senior position is responsible for mentoring the clinic staff, overseeing day to day flow within the clinic and shelter, communication with the rest of the shelter team, contributing to clinic medical protocols, training staff, overseeing students/volunteers, client communication, contributing to clinic program development, filling in for the duties of the Director of Veterinary Medicine when needed.
Veterinary Medicine: Providing expertise in the art of Veterinary Medicine. The case load is high and varied. The successful candidate will be experienced and confident in small animal soft tissue surgery, dentistry and shelter medicine. Skills in orthopedics would be beneficial. The Senior Veterinarian will be expected to provide expertise in more complicated medical and surgical cases and be knowledgeable in shelter medicine. The Senior Veterinarian will also be willing to participate in off-site veterinary clinics in underserved and remote communities of Manitoba.
Collaboration: The WHS Senior Veterinarian will work closely with the rest of the clinic team as well as the WHS shelter staff to provide capacity for care, community support, and to contribute to meeting the strategic goals of the organisation
What you will bring:
• Your excellent surgical skills, dentistry and shelter medicine skills
• Your excellent leadership, teaching and communication skills
• Your enthusiasm and commitment to mentorship and working in a fun, fast-paced environment focusing on Fear Free handling, community support and animal welfare
• Your desire to collaborate and be part of the team
What we’re looking for:
• Valid DVM license with the MVMA (or eligible to be licensed)
• Strong team member with a passion for shelter medicine and a desire to lead and mentor
• Expertise in shelter medicine, small animal surgery and dentistry
• Exceptional communication skills and commitment to a high ethical standard
The benefits of working at WHS:
We value veterinarians and prove it by supporting your personal, financial, and professional growth:
• Continuing Education (CE) allowance of $2000, training/growth opportunities
• Extended Group Benefits Package (Medical, Dental & Vision)
• Employee Assistance Program
• RRSP Matching Contributions
• Limited on call and weekend work
• Mentorship/guidance and support
• Paid Licensing & Membership dues
• Professional Liability Insurance coverage
• Group Insurance Benfits
• 3 weeks paid vacation time
• Generous Veterinary discounts
• Uniforms are provided
• Competitive compensation based on experience
• A 4 x 10 hour work week
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter and salary expectations to:
Dr. Gina Bowen, Director Veterinary Service, Winnipeg Humane Society