About Veterinary Medicine



For successful application to practice in Manitoba, you must be a graduate of a college of veterinary medicine accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association and/or the American Veterinary Medical Association OR have graduated prior to the provincial reciprocity agreement of 1986.

To practice in Manitoba you must:

  • Complete and sign the Registration Application form.
  • Provide a photocopy of your University Diploma.
  • Provide a head and shoulders photo of yourself for identification purposes.
  • Provide a photocopy of your CVMA Certificate of Qualification from the National Examining Board or a copy of the letter stating that you have been accepted to sit the examination.
  • Provide a photocopy of membership cards held in other jurisdictions i.e.: AVMA, SVMA. The MVMA Registrar will require a letter from the Registrar of the appropriate membership or licensing authority in the former jurisdiction, verifying your standing in the former jurisdiction.
  • Provide a photocopy of your CVMA membership card. Membership in the CVMA is mandatory in Manitoba. If you are not a member upon application to the MVMA, include the required CVMA payment in your application fee.
  • Provide letters of good standing from appropriate jurisdictions.
  • Enclose a cheque in the proper amount made out to the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association.

It typically takes the MVMA two weeks to process a membership application.


If you graduated from a non-accredited veterinary college, you can apply for registration and a temporary license to practice on successful completion of the Basic and Clinical Sciences
Examination (BCSE) and the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) of the CVMA-NEB Certificate of Qualification.

If your application is accepted you would then practice with a restricted license under the direction of a licensed member, with specific conditions as recommended by the MVMA until you complete the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE) which should be completed within two years.

If you do not complete the CPE within two years, the MVMA will review your status. This may include interviews with you and your employers.

After the review, the MVMA may allow you to continue practicing under a temporary restricted license until you successfully complete the CPE the MVMA can revoke your registration and temporary license to practice.

Once you have successfully completed the CPE you would then need to apply to practice in Manitoba.

MVMA full colour-01


Mission: To protect the public through the regulation of veterinary medicine, to support our members and to promote the profession in Manitoba.

Vision: A sustainable veterinary community working together to prioritize the health and welfare of animals, people and the environment.

Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement: The MVMA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion across gender identity, ethnicity, religion, age, neurodiversity, physical or mental ability, sexual orientation, and marital status. The MVMA membership is multicultural and we value multiple approaches and different points of view in a safe, positive and collaborative environment.


Become an MVMA Member – Learn about the requirements to become a licensed veterinarian or registered veterinary technologist.

Veterinary Medicine – Find out how veterinary medicine impacts the lives of animals.

©2019 MVMA. All rights reserved.