Those that have graduated from an educational institution that is not accredited by the CVMA or AVMA may be eligible for membership with the MVMA as a veterinarian. These applicants must first begin the process by registering with the National Examining Board (NEB). More information about the NEB can be located on the NEB’s website at https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/resources/examining-board-summary.
Those in the process of obtaining a Certificate of Qualification from the National Examining Board are eligible for Restricted General Membership with the MVMA upon:
- Successful completion of the Basic and Clinical Sciences Examinations (BCSE);
- Successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE); and
- Registration for the Preliminary Surgical Assessment (PSA)
A restricted member must pass the Clinical Proficiency Examination within two years, failing which, a member’s registration may be revoked.
Those that have graduated from an educational institution that is not accredited by the CVMA or AVMA may be eligible for unrestricted membership upon successful completion of the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE) and granting of a Certificate of Qualification from the NEB.
Supervision while holding a Restricted Licence
A restricted member practice at a minimum under indirect supervision of a practicing veterinarian member.
“Indirect supervision” means the direction by a licensed member of another individual who is performing a veterinary medical procedure, where the licensed member need not be on the premises at which the procedure is being performed but must be at least available to receive and respond to any communications from that individual in a manner and with timeliness that are reasonable given the nature and the circumstances of the procedure;
Funding Opportunities in Manitoba
Various organizations in Manitoba provide support to graduates of unaccredited programs as they pursue obtaining licensure in Manitoba.
– Recognition Counts is a program that provides supports to skilled immigrants wishing to work in their fields of expertise or alternative career in Manitoba. For more information click here.
– Professional Immigrant Pilot (PIP) Project- Employment Manitoba- assists skilled/professional immigrants to enter their field of expertise in the Canadian labour market. For more information click here.